Thursday, December 14, 2006

Departure

I cannot believe I'm leaving London in three days. I'll have to come back someday; I didn't get to do half of the things I wanted to. Stupid uni ... I've grown pretty fond of the area, though, and I know there are things that I'll miss. Here's some of them:

*English accents. So this one's obvious. I've just gotten used to them, and now I notice American accents as much as or more than I do English. Hearing all the different dialects of English is fun, too. I never did figure out which accent comes from where, but they're all lovely.

*Sainsbury's. The grocery store I've done almost all of my shopping at. It is a true grocery store, along the lines of Richards' Brothers at home in MG, but bigger. It's a national chain, and uses Jamie Oliver for their commercials. (Okay, that might have something to do with why I like it ...) They have a pretty sizable organic section, and a lovely bakery and deli. They also sell 25p bars of dark chocolate. Mmmm.

*Strictly Come Dancing and QI. British TV. Who'd have thought I'd get so attached? I certainly didn't. But I've gotten completely addicted to Strictly, and am absolutely crushed that I don't get to watch the finals. As for QI, well, Stephen Fry's the host. How much more do I need to say? The questions that come up are often odd, and the panel just seems to have so much fun.

*The tube. Convenience in a tunnel. Sure, there are problems, and you can't use your mobile while you're on it, but overall it's so much easier than driving. I can just hop on and be in central London in 20 minutes or so. It's marvelous.

3 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

You're truly English now, using words like "mobile"...

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger GrumpyTeacher1 said...

I'm sorry you have to leave, but I'm glad we'll get to see you eventually.

Assuming you haven't realized our true, evil nature.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Audrey said...

The semester flies by, huh? It's odd to return to the midwest. Good luck with "reverse culture shock." =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!