Friday, August 11, 2006

Let the search begin

Yesterday, I found out that I will not be staying in the residence halls at the University of Westminster as I had planned. Which means, of course, that I need to find an apartment or a place to stay. Rent is ridiculous in London; I was told to expect to pay between 75 and 85 pounds/week. I've found some at around 70 pounds, though, so I think that's what I'll count on spending. Actually, those are rooms, which is fine. Single rooms are much more economical, and I still have it to myself; I just share a bathroom and kitchen, which I'd do if I stayed in a res hall anyway. I also discovered that renting a room is actually less expensive than staying on campus, too, so I guess it's not all bad. But doing an international room search is both interesting and stressful. I found one website that's been very helpful; in fact, I may try to contact some of the people listed. I'm worried about doing that, though. What if I find some really cool students that I'd like to live with once I get there? (There's a housing meeting on the second day of orientation to help those who won't be living in residence halls.) It's all very worrisome, and I'm kind of disappointed that I won't be living on campus. I'm not very social, and I'm not sure I'll put out the effort to meet other students now. On the other hand, I might get to stay with a British family this way; I think a lot of the rooms are from students looking to make up the rent with as many people as possible, but I saw some families offering spare rooms (cost of living there is high, after all -- I'd try to make extra money, too. :)). That could be very interesting. Basically, I'm just trying not to panic about this unexpected situation.

1 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger GrumpyTeacher1 said...

I wish I choud fix it all. I'm sorry for your stress. If it's any help, I used to have an instructor who would always tell us to "flow, like water."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!