Thursday, July 24, 2008

Moving homes

Packing blitz #1 is underway. My room is hardly more of a mess than it usually is, but this time the mess is tempered by boxes full of paper and office supplies in the corner. Most of my things are still on display as of now. I am dreading seeing my room empty, no books filling the shelves or picture collages on the wall. That's just too much reality for right now.

Major events like this have a way of slowly walking up to me and then, when they're about 2 feet in front of me, leaning in and shouting, "Boo!" The effect is that, even though I know they're going to happen and am calm, I am ultimately overwhelmed. I wish I had a clearer memory of moving into Gillett my freshman year, or rather of what I was feeling at the time. The day is a blur of elevators and little green wagons and boxes. Then, of course, there was the horrifying shock of seeing Greek characters on my room's door. The year turned out surprisingly well, though, and I think Columbia became home that year. It has remained so. A lot of my personal growth can probably be attributed to the creative environment I've been in for the past four years. It's wonderful to be surrounded by art and people who appreciate it. Finding other people my age who adore literature was a revelation, and living in a city that indulges that passion was even better. I love that Columbia feels very down to earth and natural and friendly in spite of the university's presence. (Football game days seem to be an exception to this.) Columbia is just comfortable. I'm going to miss it terribly. I wonder when it's actually going to hit me, as right now I'm too caught up in other things to think about the fact that I'm leaving.


I'm nervous because I have no idea what kind of city Cheltenham is. I have high hopes; a literature festival will be held there in September. I wonder if it will ever feel as natural as Columbia, though, or if it will merely be a holding tank. I will make every effort to let it feel like home, and I hope it will grow as dear to me as the other places I've lived. Only time will tell.

1 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger Mac said...

Jennifer Columbia will miss you we can never have enough thoughtful and sensitive peoplgive your new brits a chance explore explore explore!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!