Tuesday, September 19, 2006

On the move

I've moved again. For the next four nights, I'm staying in a hostel near central London; only a couple of tube stops from Baker St., in fact. It's a lovely place, a converted Victorian home. There's a small grocery stand just across the road selling produce and flowers -- orchids and roses and beautifully colored blooms. I've seen several of them in London already, and I love it. You don't have that in the States, I think. Anyway, I also have free wireless access and get a free breakfast. I'm really looking forward to the breakfast, because I haven't had a proper meal since I arrived. I was provided with a lunch at orientation yesterday, but it only included a gross chicken salad sandwich, a Snickers bar (full size, though), a bag of crisps, and a Gala (!) apple. A bit of nourishment, I suppose, but not quite enough. Aside from that, I've stuck with what I brought from home, since I didn't eat any of it on the plane. Apparently I get airsick, at least when I'm nervous. Fantastic, eh? The price of the hostel is about 15# less than the hotel I stayed at for a couple of nights. I'm really hoping I can find a room by Saturday, because the hostel doesn't have any available beds, and I really don't want to drag my luggage around again. I've done it enough, I think. It's a good thing I have arm muscles.

I think I'll post some of the interesting experiences I've already had within the next couple of days. It's so nice to have Internet access again. I never realized how spoiled I was.

3 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Lucindyl said...

Good grief, Woman! I'd say you're alread showing the solid stuff of which we've known all along you are made. On your own in London without a place to stay, and you sound like you're weathering it just fine. You're making it sound easy, in fact!

Whatever happens after this is bound to be easier, I'm thinking!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Audrey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Audrey said...

Man, you've had a crazy few days. I'm sure things will get better from here, and I am also quite impressed by your resilience thus far.

I'm glad that, despite the insanity, you have been able to appreciate some of the beauty there that is not present in the States. Keep it up. Have a blast, and good luck with the housing situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!